• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Trying to achieve turbonormalizing the home-built way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geosnooker2000

I am struggling with a mechanical theory and was hoping for some expert opinions. If someone's intent was to build a 0-320 and turbonormalize it, there are a couple of very expensive "bolt-on" options. But it seems to me, one of the hallmarks of the experimental aircraft is innovation coupled with simplicity and affordability. To wit, a standard of TN systems is this thing called an Absolute Pressure Controller - one of these things that costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $1300:
attachment.php

They run off of upper deck pressure, and tell the waste-gate what to do by use of oil pressure. The next thing to consider is that aircraft waste-gates are about 4 times the cost of an automotive waste-gate. Like, a hartzell wastegate @ Aircraft Spruce costs $1829. The same thing (roughly) in a car application costs about $200. That's nine times. That's ridiculous.

I keep trying to understand the fluid dynamics of it, and I just keep coming to the conclusion that you should be able to operate a normalized turbo using manifold pressure (or upper deck pressure) to an automotive waste-gate (air pressure), but my mind is telling me that that would operate the waste-gate in the exact reverse of what I'm looking for. Do I have that right? I feel like someone has already tried to make this work. Please discuss...

Back