• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Nevada Taxation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

When I first bought my airplane I purchased it via an LLC and that LLC is based in Nevada.

Since it was a non-flying airplane I "based" it in Nevada when I registered it however it has never been to Nevada because it was actually in my garage in California. I have since moved to a private airport in Arizona.

I kinda forgot it was still registered in Nevada because I have been so very busy with life and building...until I just received this nice letter from the Office of County Assessor asking if the airplane is "based or habitually located in Clark County"

So to continue with my theme of dodging taxes...err... I mean "mitigating tax exposure" and since the Kalifornia Republic of Asinine People (KRP) is no longer in the picture... I am now trying to determine if it is cheaper to "base" it in Arizona or Nevada.

The questions from the nice letter include (only one might become the "Gateway to Taxes" in Clark County:

-Is the aircraft permanently based or habitually located in Clark County?

-Is the aircraft registered in another County or state? NO

-Does this aircraft pay taxes in another County or state? NO

-Do you own any real property in Clark County? NO

-Do you operate a business in Clark County? (only the LLC that is the holding company for the airplane)

-What percentage of time in the last year has the airplane been in Clark County? NO

Any unofficial tax advice out there?

THANKS!!!

Back