• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

EAA Webinars going behind paywall??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flow

I have to say I would join EAA from the other side of the world or even donate 1000 dollars to make sure EAA keep their webinar archives available to all aviators. Here are my thoughts on EAA putting these extraordinary webinars from experts that donated their time and knowledge freely behind a paywall.

I will try to outline the concerns as clearly as I can below. We understand they are entitled to do this but is this the best move for EAA and is it the best move for general aviation? What do you think?

Any better ideas?

Understood that EAA is a model citizen in the general aviation community, but I think they have missed a trick with something. Here is what and why.

Moving the webinar archives behind a paywall.
I think this is a breathtakingly poor or at least ill considered decision for the following reasons:

Intellectually the sharing of information is at the heart of aviation safety.
  1. This move cuts to the core of this MO in our community and shows quite shockingly poor leadership in the fight to keep our selves and each other safe while engaged in this demanding and unforgiving activity.

2. Someone will actually quite likely be lost to us and their friends and family due to EAA reducing access to, for instance, Gordon Penner's stall spin content or Mike Busch's engine trend monitoring and early warning detection advice or the invaluable content on staying safe in aerobatics.

3. Other content providers may follow this precedent set by EAA, further compromising this fundamental need in aviation that we all have a duty to forward not undermine. This is very hard to stomach indeed.
Morally we are obliged to engage in charity as part of conducting a good life and having a meaningful impact in the society we contribute to. Even the most profit driven entities understand the brand benefits and this truth is self evident to all that study their conscience. EAA seems to understand this very well.
  1. Sharing of information is often considered one of the pillars of charitable work.

2. EAA is at its core a generous pioneer in aviation.

3. For EAA to become uncharitable in the sharing of information has an alarmingly disruptive impact the sanctuary of the EAA brand and the sanctity of freedom of information amongst the aviation community.
Further considerations:
  1. Weather they see it or not presenters that give their time and information freely should not have that information withheld or on sold.

2. These webinars are very cheep to create in comparison to the many elegantly produced aviation YouTube channels which also contribute tremendously to the betterment of our shared passion.

3. There are simply superior mechanisms to help fund the EAA's many good works without intentionally or accidentally attacking freedom of information in aviation.

4. Also understand that EAA now has a far wider reach than just the membership. It is a global face and it is simply not fair to ask overseas aviators to sign up to another death by a thousand cuts subscription only to access the webinars.
Solutions:
  1. I would suggest the webinars are moved to YouTube as a start. This is not perfect but would attract a much wider following and subscription base which would ultimately help with funding. If that is indeed the impetus here.

2. We could then look to improve the content by showing peoples faces during the interviews and upping the production value more in line with feature rich live streaming content providers and let young blood in the vein of Trent Palmer and co. overhaul the aesthetic.

3. I am sure we understand this could be a far more successful, growth orientated and morally un-compromised strategy.
I have also circulated this to those that I care for as I think we can all agree freedom of information should be sacrosanct in aviation and this is a good reminder that even those with the best intentions can trip from time to time and that it maybe up to all of us to catch them when they do.

Last edited:
Back