• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Building an Ultralight with my Son

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 42205

Hello everyone, im a 27 year old dad from omaha. Ive been dreaming of flight since i was 4 years old.
I recently decided to take the plunge and Build a Homebuilt Ultralight Aircraft with my Son. Im still in the planning phase but i've narrowed it down to one of the following:

1. Legal Eagle XL
  2. Min Max 1100R
  3. Fisher Avenger

I am far more skilled with Wood then i am with Metal, however if i do decide to go the route of a plane that is a metal assembly, i have a friend who is a welder who has agreed to do the welding for me at no cost.

I do want to leave this open to suggestions in case ive missed a good option that might work better or if someone knows of an Ultralight Bi-Plane that meets my Requirements ;) :

• Able to be built for under 4k
  • Relatively Newbie Builder Design, Ive done Balsa kits my whole life, but this will be my first full scale attempt, and my son will be helping me build it.
  • Able to carry a 260lb pilot. My weight is pretty stable, working on getting back down to 200-220lbs, but would prefer to pick something that i know would carry my fat ass, in the event i have not lost all the weight i want to by the end of the build.
  • Can be built in my basement in parts, and then Carried out through the door as i finish parts to be assembled later.

My background:
I have taken around 15 hours of flight instruction over the last 10 years. Mostly a couple hours at a time as i could afford to, so that i could scratch the itch. I have completed a Ground School course at my local college a few summers ago. Ive also been building Balsa Planes, and RC Planes for the last decade. I've accepted the fact that im never going to have the money to become an airline pilot or get my PPL at least not any time soon, however a homebuilt Ultralight is something i can afford to do.

My Sons Background:
He has the flight bug as well. Im pretty sure he resents me some days because i cant afford to pay for him to go for a ride in a plane at least once a week haha. He rode along for the first time when he was 4 while i was doing an hour of training to scratch the itch which was intentional as it was the age i saw the jets take off at the colorado air force academy and became hooked on flight. Hes 8 years old now, and way to smart for his own good. He does great at helping with the balsa models when we make them. I really look forward to not only continue to feed his passion for aviation, but the STEM learning he will gain Building a full sized plane with his dad.

I look forward to all the help im sure i will find here, as well as support! My son and I can't wait to share our progress with you all!

Back