• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lycoming High Volume Oil Pump Part Numbers???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

I thought I would start a new thread for this inspection.

As you know I have lower than normal oil pressure on a TIO-540 and I after painstakingly eliminating all of the items on the troubleshooting list I finally removed the accessory cover and opened up the oil pump. I discovered a damaged impeller drive shaft and the 61297 impeller (see attached photo).

First Question: What could have caused this shaft and impeller to get so worn out in only 170 hours since these parts were new when the engine was overhauled???

Second Question: Could this this worn-out shaft have been the culprit for low oil pressure or is it just an impending failure that has not been revealed and I still have some other problem?

Third Question: Since I have the accessory case removed what other "usual suspects" should I be inspecting?

Forth Question: I know that since the airplane has an oil operated turbocharger that I should get a high-volume oil pump. Does anybody know what part numbers I should get and an economical source (I am OK with "experimental" parts)?

As always Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Oil Pump Inspection.jpg
    Oil Pump Inspection.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 24
Back