• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Headset Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
I pulled the trigger on the new CQ1 headset https://cqheadset.com/product/cq1-headset/ recently and just flew with them today. This is my first experience with an "in ear" configuration, and the first step away from my beloved Zulu. Obviously extremely lightweight, these initially failed to impress with the noise attenuation but by the time I was ready to taxi, the foam had expanded into all the voids in my ear and things got nice and quiet. The radio was crystal clear if a little "tinny", but not objectionable at all. The mic had no discernable side tone, so that was a bit different than I'm used to, but again, not a problem. During the short flight the noise attenuation improved and I got more used to the different feel on my head. One small gripe is the comm cord rubs my cheek, but I'm sure I can figure out how to get that out of my way. Didn't do any hard acro, but I did periodically shake my head to try get it to unseat. It didn't.

After the shakedown in the relatively loud RV-8, I also flew a bit in the T-craft with it's mighty 65 Lyc popping away and found the performance equally good.

There is much more flying to be done, but initial impressions are great. Not convinced these are a direct replacement for the full set of features I expect from my Zulus, but they are certainly going to be the "go to" for formation and acro work. These appear to be the no nonsense, high performance headsets everyone claims.

I'm happy I bought them.

Back