• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

glass uni over wood core

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jany77

i know this was here before ,but ill give it chance one more time as other members here im also trying build my own rotor blades not for saving money but saveing weight ,i believe that wood is best building material ,i have two options
1. whole blade made out of aircraft spruce glued together from spliced pieces shaped to naca 8-h-12 with one layer of rutan style uni and one lbs tip weight at 90-95 % lenght of blade and at 25% of chord,2. option make the leading edge of laminated mahogany 2.5 long of 7" chord and rest foam covered with one layer of uni,the rotor blades should take 15000 lbs force at 7" chord spruce blades with area of 3 will have pretty good safety factor and in mahogany leading edge with 1.6 area and foam core with one layer of uni is on the edge,since i dont have any experience with structural analysis of rotor blades but have plenty with wood my question is if i can make whole blade from glued up spruce blanks or stick with hardwood leading edge continue with spruce and finishing up with balsa and one laer of uni thank you

Back