• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fan cooled engine in tractor configuration cooling issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grengsah82

Hey all. Wondering if anyone could tell me if I could run a fan cooled/cowled 503 Dual Carb DCDI engine in a tractor configuration in my Spitfire ultralight without having cooling issues. Usually I've seen the cowled engines set up in a pusher prop configuration where the cooling fan is drawing in air from the natural slipstream direction and out past the tops of the cylinder heads. What I'm concerned about is that the fan may not be designed to be capable of drawing in enough cooling air from the rear of the engine and force it forward(against the slipstream) into the cowl and up through the top of the cylinder cowling for proper cooling on my Spitfire. My dad also flies a Spitfire with a 503 "Free Air" mounted on it, which works great since the engine is in the direct prop-wash/slipstream. Anyone have any advice or knowledge if there would be issues with running a cowled set up? I'd appreciate any feedback or help. Thank you!

Back