• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

To fly or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarecrow56

I know my budget and it is pretty apparent to me that I can afford to fly 2 stroke but not so much 4 stroke. I have read a lot in here about some people that say "never fly behind/in front of a 2 stroke". Others defend them. As a student pilot I am confused and perplexed. With a budget of around 15K I can find many planes on Barnstormers at that or less. However they are mostly 2 strokes. I am particularly interested in the Challenger II and have seen several for around 10K. I could probably afford a cheap C150 or a Taylorcraft but come overhaul time I would be shut down whereas with a 2 stroke the overhaul is a third of the price and I know I could handle that. I understand a BRS is a very good idea. I see Rotax Rick has a 670 for around $5500. I'm just looking for some encouragement. I see Challenger has a great safety record and has been around for 35 years. Can that many people be wrong? Wadda you guys think? I'm getting the opinion from some that I'm gonna die if I fly 2 stroke and others say I'll be fine. ?????????

Back