• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Baffling your VW engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N8053H

From my understanding the baffling on a VW engine and maybe others is of a pressured type. Meaning you want to trap the air with as little pressure lose as posible. Should one draw fresh air or cooling air for things like the mags and gascolater or whatever from the baffling. Should this air be drawn from the back of the baffling? My baffling has three 1 inch bungs coming off it or what ever these male things are called you hook sceet or scat too. Two cool the mag and one feeds air to the gascolator. IMHO I have a couple ways to deal with this. I thought about installing another male bung on the inside baffling. Then installing a bung in my cowl. Connect these with a piece or Sceet or Scat. Or I could remove these putting a plate over the hole in the baffling. Install the bung in the cowl and run sceet to the parts I want cooled.
But in my mind this needs to be changed. I have a three inch hole in my baffling the way it is setup.
Tony
P.S. I did order a book from Great planes on this subject of baffling a VW engine. I still wanted to ask here how you would deal with this. I wanted to share what I was thinking. Maybe I should do nothing.

Back