• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ultralight from scratch, knowledgable and reasonable input requested

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P65F001

Hello all forum readers,

Today I thought I would share my project with you all. It has been kicking around in my mind for some time and I thought it finally time to get it down on 'paper'. Here are the results thus far.

Before we get to that, however, lets start at the beginning like any good design process should:

Mission/purpose

An aesthetically pleasing stol ultralight capable of rough field landings, part 103 compliant yet capable of higher cruise speeds (if throttle stops were removed). Target of 100mph seems reasonable. Usable for off the beaten path exploration,solo fishing/camping.

Design Points

-Pusher prop for increased forward visibility.
-Robust suspension for harder landings, rough fields
-Mid/high wing for a clean junction between fuselage and wing, and for increased wingtip ground clearance for things like small trees or low fences.
-Low parasitic drag, aesthetically pleasing

Here are some shots of my current design iteration:
iso.jpgSide.jpgFront.jpgTop.jpgSide, Cutaway.jpg

Shown with a 60" prop, a USA-35b modified airfoil (50" chord, 7.7 height) and 2 degrees dihedral. Scooter tires on rear. Also, for kicks and giggles, a rotax 912s is shown. It nearly fits too :p

Specific dimensions:

Fuselage height: 36"
Overall length: 19'
Width: 30'
Wing Area: 125 square feet
Horizontal tail area:17.5 square feet

Construction will be foam and fiberglass.

I now open the field for your questions, concerns and suggestions. Should there be any interst the files are in solidworks and I can upload them. In the end I would like to make the overall design available to all.

-Lee

Back