• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Quasi-lifting body sketch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsigned

2018-08-24 12-20_page_3.jpg

The result is actually has a wider fuselage than I intended, but I think it illustrates the general concept. Instead of tapering the fueselage in the horizontal direction, allow it to flare out to a "tail" of sorts that could be used as a control surface (or not). But the idea is that one could generate more lift from the fuselage without going to a full lifting body or blended wing design, but generate more lift with the biggest penalty being increased surface area.

The "inspiration" is the aero of the Wittman Tailwind. I seem to remember reading in Wittman's comments on the squar-ish shape of the fuselage that the squared-off construction meant that it actually generated a non-trivial amount of lift (while still being a very slippery design).

I have a feeling I may need to sketch couple of iterations of the idea to come up with a concept that "works" (e.g. maybe a tapered top, but a hard chine on bottom?), but I'm curious how much experience people have with similar ideas?

Attachments

• Predator10-p46-avenger-8590.jpg
    Predator10-p46-avenger-8590.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 14
  • PredatorC.jpg
    PredatorC.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 16
Back