• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Request for Information - Winton "Jackaroo"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
We were talking about simple ultralights the other day, and about the same time member jany77 posted a thread with a video of a neat little ultralight I'd never seen before.

Almost nothing remains uncovered here at HBA for long, and member rotax618 identified it as a "Winton Jackaroo" or its immediate predecessor design, the "Winton Cricket." These were products of Colin Winton, who passed his love of homebuilt airplanes on to his son Scott, who is notable for the Facet Opel, among other designs.

I know most of the notable ultralights of the period, but this Australian bird was one I've never seen before. I did a rather quick web search for it, and while I was able to turn up a lot of pictures (see below), I couldn't find much information. How did it fly? Was it a a good ultralight? Plusses? Minuses? Pireps? Does anyone have a resource for such information, or know some of it themselves? It's always neat to find what looks to be a nice design, and to learn more about it.

Winton Jackaroo.jpg

Back