• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

"Build in 14 days" programs too good to be true?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravisB

I had almost given up on the idea of building my own airplane -- I simply can't devote a year or more to the project, as much as I do value the idea of building my own aircraft.

But yesterday I ran across a couple kitplane manufacturers who offer programs to camp out for two or three weeks at their facility and, supposedly, get the plane flying in that time. Given that 100 weeks seems to be a pretty respectable time frame for home-building even a quick-build kit, I'm skeptical that the work can be done in 2% or 3% of that time, even with custom tools and supervision from the manufacturer and lots of coffee.

Does anyone know of any successful builds that came out of one of these super-concentrated programs?

Fwiw, I'm looking to buy/build a two-seat high-wing taildragger for tooling around the backcountry in Montana and Idaho. My target budget is $50,000.

Back