• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Jet glider Take Off Parameter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arfang

Supporting Member
Hello,

After a long break from posting on HBA, taking glider lessons among other things, I'm back with a project:

I have purchased a Ka8 with the purpose of making it a jet-powered self-launching sailplane. I want to use a single 66lbf turbine, keeping the cost somewhat down and still giving enough performance.
The rate of climb would be 355 fpm, enough for where I plan to fly and fuel capacity would be approximately 5 US gal, giving me a 20 to 30 minutes endurance.

The only thing I'm struggling with is the TakeOff Parameter (TOP). Using TOP calculations from Aircraft design: A conceptual Approach, I obtained a TOP of 44, giving a ground roll of less than 1000 ft. I have some doubts about my calculations, the result seems too optimistic, or maybe it isn't given the fact that W/S is pretty low.

I have attached my calculations as a .pdf file, it would be very appreciated if someone could take a look at it and tell me if something is wrong. I can post a scan of the formula and diagram from the book if that's allowed.

Any comments are welcome

Thanks

P.S. I left the EPB-1 thread unanswered but I saw that someone posted a link to the plans, thank you for that.

Attachments

• TOPCALC.pdf
    64.2 KB · Views: 31
Back