• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Advice from anyone running open foam CFD for aerodynamics ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithO

Looking to get started with using CFD for aerodynamic design of a flying wing. I dont currently have a workstation PC, but it seems that I can get a pretty decent spec desktop for less than $1500. It appears to be important to get the fastest processing speed possible, with a modest number of cores and a LOT of memory.

Here is one profile from Newegg.com
[h=1]HP Z620 Workstation - 2x E5-2670 2.6GHz 8-Core 64GB 256GB SSD 1TB HDD NVS300 W10 $1150 + $45 shipping[/h]
REFURBISHED
none.gif

Be the first to review this product... Ask Or Answer A Question

In stock. Ships from United States. Most customers receive within 6-10 days.
Sold and Shipped by MKTLLC

• Intel Xeon E5
  • 2 MAX Processors
  • 64GB
  • 1TB HDD / 256GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Professional w/ Media Disc

From what I can gather a GPU is not that important till you get to post processing and with a tower one can upgrade the graphics anytime.

I will likely be using Linux, but may consider dual boot so that I can use windows based CAD. I personally hate all the instability and hacking potential with windows, but it is just a fact that most players have abandoned cad for linux.

I work as an engineer, but my day job does not involve running finite element type code although I do prepare models for meshing by the team who does that.

Just wondering what sort of computing resources are typically needed when evaluating low speed flight conditions (large eddy ?) for airplanes within the 103 - sport pilot type operating range (lower Re#) ? I'm thinking composite, higher aspect ratio, which should help somewhat with the Re#.

I have access to a group of people with years of experience running Fluent to help me along, but they work with large clusters so may not have a good handle on aviation applications.

Back