• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fiberglass instrument panel construction.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foundationer

Does anyone know what sort of layup schedule is considered standard for an instrument panel? I need a new one for my glider and its shiny new 7" moving map/vario.

Current plan:

Draw round old instrument panel onto some foamboard, work out where the moving map, and remaining old gauges are going to go, transfer to MDF, build up outline for sides about an inch, Vacuum infuse four plies of 320GSM Bi-Ax, cut holes, paint, get inspected, fit. Is that about the right thickness (1mm ish) or am I way out / is there an easier way? Any advice on easiest ways to cut holes also appreciated!

Here's a picture of the current panel (and a 7" tablet for reference)...

Attachments

• 20170411_094815.jpg
    20170411_094815.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 53
Back