• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Weight shift trike V HG maneuverability

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b7gwap

I don’t know if I should post this on the hg fora instead. If we have any hg/trike pilots with us here, how do these two similar aircraft compare in terms of ability to quickly correct for gusts and other aerodynamic upsets, I’ve not flown either (except for some hg bunny hops years ago), but part of what attracted me to Mike Sandlin’s designs and ultimately the ULF-1 by Dieter Reich was my familiarity with conventional 3-axis aerodynamic controls. Pushing a stick left to go left versus pushing yourself left (and the bar right) seems more intuitive, and the hg videos ive watched show a marked delay from the point of control input to aircraft response. (I am an outside observer here and realize I may be up in the night, please correct me if you feel I am in error.)

my my question for discussion is if flying a weight shift trike is pretty much the same from a control response perspective, or if having an obviously higher wing loading and any other differences I’m unaware of contribute to a change in responsiveness. I suppose the wing you’re under might make the biggest difference with regard to control input response.

Thanks for the discussion and experiences shared in advance!

Austin

Back