• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Use of canned expanding foam to support aluminum hard lines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne

Folks,
I'm running the aluminium hard lines for my Zenith Cruzer, with a UL Power FADEC engine. The engine requires a supply and return for each tank.

There is a nice, but tight, channel that makes up the rear sill of the pilot and passenger door and I'd like to run the lines inside that for protection and visuals.

Given that the channel is structural, and has a cover that gets riveted on, I am wondering if I can secure the fuel lines at the top and bottom of the approx 3 foot run with adel clamps and then use expanding foam to hold them in-situ as they run down the channel. There are a couple of areas that have rivet tails so I could also make sure the lines won't touch the rivets by making sure they are bent properly and then foaming them.

I'd foam then after the foam cures would trim the excess foam off and rivet the lid on.

If I don't foam I'll have to secure the lines with adel clamps inside the channel which means I'll have to drill holes in the channel and probably wrap the lines in fuel hose to avoid any possibility of chafing.

I can see some cons - foam degradation would leave the lines vulnerable and perhaps moisture could get trapped under the foam and increase the risk of corrosion.

What do you think? Maybe I'm missing a better way to do this?

Wayne

Back