• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Good plane for Alaska flying?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC10Chief

I recently moved to Alaska. I told my wife that when we got here, I planned to eventually build my own airplane. I've been a licensed pilot for over 12 years now. I am a flight engineer in the Air Force. I'm wanting an airplane that would be good for flying around Alaska. I'm not that crazy, but something that can get in and out of airstrips with less than 1,000 feet of runway would be awesome. It is my understanding that over 95% of the runways in Alaska are less than 2,000 feet long. This is a 4 year tour for me and I'll move back to the lower 48 after that if they won't let me stay any longer. Probably Oklahoma. I'm never in a hurry and this would be something I did for fun. I'm not looking to be a serious bush pilot, but if I could set down on a river bank somewhere and do some fishing, that would be awesome! I REALLY like the CH 701 and the CH 750. Is there an alternative engine for either of these aircraft? I'm not crazy about spending $20K on a Rotax. How about a VW? What do you guys think about a Kitfox? Also, I only have a 1 car garage, but I could get something bigger if I needed to. Thanks for any advice!

Back