• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

gluing wood with epoxy: tempering required?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I hope you can give me some feedback here; I've just taken over a project where both rudder/elevator and (partly) spars have been glued with L285 Epoxy.

The datasheet is here: http://www.ezentrumbilder.de/rg/pdf/td_en_LR285_eng_180310.pdf
As you can see the following is written:
"After heat treatment at 50 - 55 °C (122-131 °F), the system meets the standards for gliders and motor gliders (operational temperatures -60°C (-76°F) to +54°C (129 °F)."

My question is: is this tempering only required when the epoxy is used for creating structural parts with glass/carbon etc. Or also when the epoxy is used for gluing wood?

Thanks!
Hugo

Back