• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Least expensive used Lycoming/Continental for homebuilts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
I am usually drawn to VW engines and other lower-cost options, but they bring with them some significant limitations as well. Just out of curiosity, among the readily available Lycoming and Continental engines, which ones typically have the lowest real world cost in terms of both initial purchase (used, overhauled), operation? I have done some digging on various classified sites but the prices seem all over the map.

I would want electric start and an engine that does not qualify for a museum exhibit so that parts and maintenance/overhaul expertise are readily available. I am thinking Lycoming (or clones) O-235/290/320/360 and the Continental O-200 are the likely suspects. I am not interested in price per horsepower, just lowest overall cost, as I think that any of those engines could work just fine if the design is optimized for that amount of power.

Operating costs would tend to favor the smaller displacements, but maybe perhaps there is an engine readily available because folks are pulling them to upgrade to something bigger that might change the numbers? The application I have in mind is a conventional, two-seat sport plane something like the PGK-1 Hirondelle but with tricycle gear and using aluminum/pulled rivet/Oratex construction.

Back