• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Adjusting valves, what gives?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N8053H

We all know the procedure for adjusting valves. Bring up to top dead center on compression and make adjustments. On the engine I have if you then rotate the crank to were the intake is open and then check the exhaust valve clearance, this exhaust valve has a huge gap. I have not measured it but it could be over .50 thousands clearance. If I let the exhaust valve open and then check the intake the intake valve has a lot of clearance just as the exhaust. If I try to adjust the clearance at .08 at this point with the opposite valve open, when the piston is at top dead center on the compression stroke the valves are now held open.

I called Scott Casler on this and he is stumped as am I to why this is happening. Every cylinder on this engine is like this. The engine is going to Scott and he will be looking this over. Has anyone ever dealt with an issue like this? In all my years working with engines I have never seen anything like this, nor has Scott. I am very interested as to why this is happening. Once set at .08 on compression stroke the engine runs great, but why the huge gap when not at top dead center and on the back side of the cam lob as would be with the opposite valve opened?

I am stumped. This is a 4 cylinder 1700cc vw engine. Any ideas?

Tony

Back