• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aero-cross racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwalton

Supporting Member
Okay I finally tried to put thoughts to paper on the air racing idea. The course I drew is very short just take off turn around and weave through 4 pylons. My thoughts are that you have to start (take off) and finish with the opponents going in the same direction to cancel out winds and up or down slope runways. That still leaves the crosswind differences which I don't know what to do about...maybe heats in both lanes?

After take off altitude would not be above 50 ft until the 180 degree turn around at which time it may go up to 200 ft then at pylon 3 the altitude would need to be pylon height. Red Bull style pylons would be nice where you have the correct height shown. These pylons would need to be air filled and not able to hurt the aircraft....obviously

This race would emphasize rapid acceleration off the start line and quick roll rate and maneuvering through the pylons.

The typical show line for spectators. And a foul line between lanes should be adequate for aircraft separation.
Ideas?IMG_1296.jpg

Back