• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

In one pciture, why I never, ever, ever want Dual Instruction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

choppergirl

So I was happily working along on my rough and rusty plane pick up trailer yesterday, an essential part of my airplane "kit", griding off all the jaggy blow torch cut edges to be smooth, grinding away the weld splatter and over welds, and knocking off as much rust as I possibly could everywhere with a variety of different rotary tools. Taking a diamond in the rough, so to speak, and putting some hours into it to polish it up to be something that one day I would be proud to haul my airplanes to the airport and back on, not an old rusty piece of s***.

I was trying out some polycarbide abrasive wheels for the first time, and seeing how they worked compared to whizzer steel brush wheels, and taking off the white residue after I painted it with phosphoric acid to neutralize some rust. I found to my surprise the rubbery polycarbide wheels also did a nice polishing like a fine grit sand paper on all my grinder wheel grinds, and made them go from smooth to super smooth. For large flat surfaces, they were fast at taking off light stuff on their sides, and good at taking off paint or hard rust held the other way.

I'm happy, I'm relaxing and taking my time, I'm going to make this exactly the want it to be, and when I give myself that kind of power, boy does it really give me licence to do anything I want to fix thing the way I think they should be right, and it really puts the wind in my sails. I'm stoked now, lets put in 8 hour days until we are up in the air!

Not quite ready for the rusty metal primer, but getting there and looking good...! No sharp edges anywhere that could catch on some clothes or a wing or cut my hand.

attachment.php

Ok, so my dad zooms over this morning, and tells me that he raced off to town, bought some brackets, and for me to clean off my tools, he was going to weld those brackets on, that would be the cheapest way to go. Okay, that's not in my plan, I was just going to drill a few holes and bolt my own homemade brakets out of cut L channel myself after I painted them too.

He says come over when I'm ready and draw some lines where I want them to go, and hauls off my trailer with the ATV.

He also told me, he got some paint strainers for his spray gun, so we can shoot this thing with my paint. Okay, again, not in my plans at all, I don't like spray guns, I just wanted to take my time and enjoy painting it with a brush, and I don't want to waste my paint because it was $$$ as heck.

So I go back to bed, and in thirty minutes, he zooms back over with this:

attachment.php

The green lines are where I wanted to run my boards across. The circles are where he welded homemade tabs on.

I looked at this with immediate distress and though I can do one of four things:

1. Not hurt his feelings, and use his tabs to attach my cross boards in the places I don't want them.
2. Grind off his tabs, and go ahead with what I want. My trailer.
3. Leave his tabs, because they are not in the way of anything, but don't use them. Go ahead and bolt L brackets where I want my boards to go.
4. Use some of his tabs like the pink ones because they are sort of in the right place, and ignore the other orange ones, because they aren't in the way of anything

These tabs cause no major damage, and no big harm, maybe they add a little weight, but there is a more insidious other harm.

I had to emotional process this s***. That takes a while. And I can only get around it when I come up with the logic around it.

No longer am I operating in my comfortable quiet little zone, at my own pace, but now I have an external unpredictable stupidity entering into the mix.

He may mean well, but he goes too fast, all the time, does a lot of stupid stuff, and did not even wait for me to communicate what I wanted (where I wanted the tabs).

~ ~ ~

In this case, it's on the ground, it's just a rusty old trailer project I'm working on, and it's not fatal. Just a little extra weight.

But what if I were in the air, with an instructor, and with two control yokes and two sets of pedals.

I'm a person who is a leader. I don't follow. I lead. Imagine two leaders trying to fly a plane....

Imagine the ****storm that ensues from different intents, different desires, different priorities, different states of mind, miscommunication, or lack of communication.

One wants to go right, the other left. One wants full left aileron to avoid an obstacle, the other wants full right rudder.... :-/

Or one is flying the plane, and the other is sitting there doing nothing and feeling powerless.

When I am in a plane, this is my stick. These are my rudder pedals. This is my input on how I control the plane. That's it. End of story.

Guys do this. They take over and F things up. They think they always know what's right. They won't let you fly the plane. If they see anything you are doing they would do differently, they grab the steering wheel.

You don't learn anything at your own pace this way by doing.

No thank you. No. No. No. Just, no.

I get sweet old guys offering free dual instruction, ostensibly so I won't get myself killed, and so I can feel what the plane feels like flying in the air before I take off, before I try to do it on my own, and I'm like, no thank you. It's nice an all, and thanks for the offer, but again, no thank you. I'm just fine going at my own pace I am comfortable at learnign by myself.

I sit balanced on top of motorcycles all the time through traffic. I don't get myself killed. Once you learn the controls, no a problem. If you really want to argue the point, consult my graphic about it :)

So yeah, next time you may want to push dual instruction on a girl and mansplain something and take over the controls, check my trailer picture with the color circles....

Want me to learn to drive a car, just give me the keys and an empty field to practice in. I'll be drifting through the pecan orchards around the pecan trees in about an hour like a pro....

Ah, that was cathartic, now maybe I can get back to work and do it my way, the right way...

Dad, dad, dad... :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back