• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Western Hemlock grain quality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E28POWERM20

I plan on building a Ragwing RW11 with a combination of white pine, and hemlock where more strength is needed. I've been learning a lot about the grading of wood, but I'm unclear about wavy grain. I have access to good quality hemlock from Lowe's of all places, perks of living in the Pacific Northwest I guess. I can find planks with laser straight grain, but according to to mil spec 6073, wavy grain is permissible as long as the grain doesn't deviate more than than 1/4 of the face of the piece of wood. In your opinion, is this ok?

20170703_175013.jpg20170703_175021.jpg

Obviously I will use the best pieces available, but I'm still curious, for future reference.

Back