• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ford 15P [speculation/discussion thread]

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Hole in the Ground

Hi guys, so I've just been introduced to this little aircraft courtesy of Autodidact. For the benefit of others, here it is:

ford-15p-front.jpgford-15p-rear-aerofiles.jpg ford-15p-engine.jpg

Information is scarce about this aircraft. It was a one off, only flew a few times due to poor controllability and was eventually scrapped. It's a 2 seater with a 34ft span (wiki).

so first speculative question:

With those spats and no tail, how unstable in yaw would this be?! Presumably the wingtip devices are split ruddervons but I'd have thought the pilot would have to spend their time tap dancing to keep it straight. From the looks of things the wing planform is just unswept and tapered (there is a scale model that has some modest sweep). So to my eye this looks like a very unstable (in yaw) platform. Are there any clever tricks that I'm not seeing that could improve the yaw stability here? Toe in the wheel spats slightly?

Back