• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

An alternative to flat wrap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

I understand the basic concepts of drawing a conic section, but still don't have a handle on drawing a flat wrap fuselage or wing.

And then I thought of an alternative and wanted to get opinions on it.

In light of the Facetmobile and the F-117, consider this picture:
Gull D.JPG
This is a rendering from XFLR5 of the current state of my flying wing project. The dark lines are where the airfoils are defined. You could consider them as ribs.

The space between the ribs appears to be filled in with a flat surface, so why not build the thing like that? Instead of trying to do a flat wrap, just place flat sheets of plywood or aluminum between the rib stations.

The wings should not be a problem, and the joints could probably be hidden with careful sanding. The only place it would be noticeable is the pod area, but would it really be that bad?

Back