• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Question for the propeller experts among us

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winginit

Is there a formula to compute or at least a rule of thumb to figure how much propeller efficiency is lost as rpms increase ? What I would like to quantify is as efficiency is lost
( in 100 rpms increments) how many additional horsepower would it take to reasonably offset the loss in efficiency ? My thought is that if a reasonably light weight auto engine can be built that gains more than the needed hp as rpms increase, I can get an idea of what hp/rpm level would be needed to maintain roughly similar efficiency.

Basically what I'm thinking is an rpm level that would make about 2/3 of a HP for each cubic inch. A 300 cu in engine making 200 HP and weighing 300 or fewer lbs. It would have to be direct drive to keep the weight down.

Back