• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Coupled engines to single shaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerZone

A new coupled engine with a single shaft output called HT 422 has been shown at Aero Expo 2017 in Friedrichshafen. Each engine has 135HP, enough to continue flying the helicopter or aircraft if one engine quits. Both engines are coupled to a single shaft, and each can power the shaft independently.

I searched the internet to see the regulation about such concepts. Is this still considered a single engine aircraft/helicopter according to FAA rules or is it a multi engine? Does anyone know how EASA regulates aircraft/helicopters powered by such engines? I found some info on the internet that FAA considers aircraft with such engines can be flown with a single engine licence.

Apparently this concept did not evolve because of complicated regulations and certification processes. If anyone has some more examples of coupled engines to a single shaft in the past (and their fate in aviation history) please be so kind to share. The Lear Fan and Soloy Dual Pac are turbine cases, how many lightweight ICE were there in the past?

Some people even tried to patent the idea even though this concept is almost a hundred years old...

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/EP0307452B1/imgf0001.png

https://i.stack.imgur.com/o5qMI.jpg

Back