• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Part 103 and floats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fly_boy_bc

I have recently purchased a Fisher 202 Koala for rebuilding. The seller also has a set of Puddlejumper amphibious floats that I can purchase with it if I wish (great deal). FAR 103 only allows 30 pounds for each float WITH associated mounting hardware. As far as I know Puddlejumpers are 150 pounds without even taking the amphibious capability into account. It is tough to get the FP 202 to make 254 pounds so there is no extra room there.

NO hope here of being legal so I guess my question is: "will I get away with it?". What would happen if I went to Arlington or a fly-in? I know they are not running around with scales checking everybody but anybody with any knowledge of FAR 103 would look at a FP202 wearing Puddlejumper amphibs. and conclude it is probably way over weight. It's like flying an "ultralight" with a Rotax 503. It LOOKS more like an ultralight than mine but any critical observer would KNOW you were flying "fat".

Can I get away with it? Would I have to avoid "real" airports and fly-ins? I would hate that I want to FLY to fly-ins!~

Does a 60 pound float set even exist?

Gary B in BC contemplating 103 in WA.

Last edited:
Back