• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I grew up in the wrong era - A vintage thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this on a GeeBee Facebook page. It never happened so he did a computer rendering. Still, I see this and smile. It pulls at my heart strings. A GeeBee R2 & Z.
FB_IMG_1481928841617.jpg

FB_IMG_1481928834632.jpg

FB_IMG_1481928828713.jpg

It's childish I know, but I wish I could have seen aviation first hand during the 20's & 30's. There's something really magical about tube and fabric airplanes that just suck me in. The pull is so great I just ignore other types of airplanes. What it must have been like to see or fly a factory fresh Waco Taperwing fly off a grass field. I'm so lucky my first hours were in a Cub, it set me on a path of no regrets. And what a world we live in where we can make this stuff, we can fly it. It's truly amazing.

Sometimes at Oshkosh I'll sit by myself next to an old biplane or cub and just stare at it quietly, like being in heaven.

And when you stick your head in a tube and fabric airplane cockpit it has a unique smell, a smell no other airplane has.

It's snowing in Wisconsin right now and I'm headed to the shop to work on a Cassutt. Those of use who see the joy in old airplanes? Well, we're the luckiest SOB's on the planet.

FB_IMG_1481069189528.jpg

Long live the old stuff.

Back