• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mini-Max thoughts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironnerd

I’m not exactly sure where to put this, but I’m talking about some pretty light planes so I figure this is as good a place as any.

The tightwad's conundrum...
I have a CGS Hawk Single Seat Classic. Well, most of one. The Wings, Wing Struts, Horizontal Stab, Elevators, and Rudder were all destroyed in a fire. The fuselage was in a different building. What I do have is a Fuselage, Hirth 2702 with no time since overhaul, and instruments. I would like to see this plane fly again one day, but there are complications.
First, all the parts required to get it airworthy will cost around $6,000.

There are also some structural parts that need to be replaced. Even if I spend the money, and do the work, I run into another problem – the plane will not qualify as a part 103 UL. I might be able to get it there if I sell the 2702 and purchase a small, lighter engine, and go through the plane and add a lot of lightness. I can’t put an N-number on it since the original owner (deceased) left no build log. It’s possible I could get a very open minded DAR, but not terribly likely.

OR…
I could salvage the engine and instruments (and maybe some other bits) and start over with a new airframe, and register it as a home-built and fly it as LSA. I did some looking and found a plane I have known about for a long time; the Team Mini-Max and Hi-Max. I would be looking into the 1500R and 1600R “Sports”, or the 1700R “Hi-Max” (my preference – I figure I’ll be doing most of my navigation by ground reference, and have found high-wings to be preferable when flying low and slow over beaches).
The kits are $5750, and the web page states they include everything except the Engine (which I have), Prop (I needed a new one anyway), instruments (again, I have those), and paint. I’ll have to get a new exhaust for the 2702, but I guess I might be able to sell the existing exhaust (looks pretty new) to help offset that expense.

So… any Mini-Max/Hi-Max builder/fliers out there want to throw in their 02¢? How is the build? How does it fly?

I appreciate any input.

Back