• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

transportation and material source questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robby

Have a couple of quick questions -

Transportation - is it possible ( and practical ) to transport a disassembled Weedhopper in a pickup truck ? It seems I've seen pictures or heard of this done but would like to know for sure before I 'leap' !! ( I've seen a lot of pictures of & done a lot of things that let's just say weren't very bright and didn't always work out as planned !! )

2nd.

In looking at materials to use in building an ultralight, is there really any difference, beyond price, between buying, say 6061 aluminum tube, square, plate whatever from Aircraft Spruce or other 'aricraft suppliers' and simply ordering the same thing from Online Metals etc.

My experience is anytime someone uses 'aero' or 'aircraft grade' as a prefix, the price goes up appreciably, same is true with using 'marine'. Just want some verification that if the metal specification is the same then the source should not matter, as a rule of thumb.

Thanks In Advance for any and all suggestions, information, pointers, guidance etc.

Back