• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

'Full' tach for Rotax 277 2stroke 1cyl (NOT tinytach or voltmeter-looking thing)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_A

I am wondering what sort of boat/snowmobile tach would work with a Rotax 277 with POINTS ignition (not CDI).

I have a Fisher 303 that has this engine, and I would like to put a 'better' tach in it than what it has now (- preferrably NOT a $100-200 aircraft instrument (and besides, a tach for a Lyco probably won't work with this engine) - a used gauge from something-else-rotax-powered (like a snowmobile or jetski) would be ideal

Right now it has the 'voltmeter' style left-to-right gauge, which is hard to read.

I can't find any info on how many spark-pulses there are per rev, a/o the 2-cyl Rotax 2-strokes

From dealing with tachs on 2-stroke boat motors in the past, I know the power-pulses-per-rev count is critical to getting the 'right' RPM.

So, any info on how the various points ignitions in rotax motors pulse would be useful, esp if there is any difference between 2 and 1 cyl engines (eg, between 503 and 277, let's say)

This is what I have now:
westbe26.gif

Something like this is what I'd like to use:
s-l1600.jpg

Back