• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Carb jetting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmatt

Is there a rule of thumb for jetting? Specifically a Bing 54 on a Rotax 503?

I live in an area where we get a very wide range of temperatures. We also experience vast swings in humidity. With temps as low as -40C in the winter and as high as +40C in the summer, getting my engine to run in a constant EGT range is a bit challenging. This year I juggled two sets of main jets, needle jets, jet needles, and experimented with clip positions on the needles as well.

It was a lot of messin around and I'd like to simplify my ops by just swapping jets since they're the easiest to get at. I was just gonna buy a few steps up and a few steps down and experiment but they're a bit too pricey to be doing that.

So is there a rule of thumb for the EGT change between jets? For instance; if I were to change the 155 main jet for a a 160 main jet, what would the difference in the EGTs be?

Hopefully with your help I can narrow down the number of jets I have to buy. :)

Back