• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Questions about the Druine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_roy

So looking at various wooden planes, I find myself drawn towards the Druine. The design overall looks clean and honest, and watching some experienced airmen put it through its paces has convinced me that it is a neat little plane. After a couple of evenings of investigation I have some questions which members of the forum might be able to help me answer.

Overall
The plans for the D.32 Turbulent are sold by the LAA, while the plans for the D.5 Turbi are sold by Falconair. Are they written mostly in French, and how difficult would it to disipher what they say?

Are they constructed around the box spar(s) in the same manner as the Jodel?

D.32 Turbulent

The Turbulent seem like a neat airplane that I could afford to fly even with a light-sport license and a teacher's salary. I'm wondering if it would be particularly cramped for me, or if I would run the risk of going overweight? I am about six feet tall and about 200 lbs on any given day.

D.5 Turbi

I noticed that the D.5 Turbi is apparently published by Falconair, which leaves me with mixed emotions. It reminds me a DHC-2 Chipmunk and has a fairly generous gross weight, which is in its favor. The increase cost of a larger engine, less so. I'm wondering if anyone knows how many 'revisions' that Falconair have made, if they are generally positive, and what sort of safety record the plane has.

How I plan on making an airplane a reality

Right now I've staked out one of several small barns on the family property, which I plan to be using as a workshop. Clearing it out may take about a year at the rate things are going (repairs and rennovations to other buildings, bee keeping, etc.), but the space will be mine.

I've also made friends in the local pilot community, although I'm pressing anything at the moment.

As far as financing goes, I'm trying to get a steady job as a science teacher, although if I'm unable to get alternate certification I may substitute until I have enough saved up to go through the traditional certification process or go into business for myself. Once things are steady in my life I'll decide if I can afford a full PPL or if I go for Sport Pilot, as my current goals are simply to fly for the fun of it and maybe tour the Southcentral US.

Last edited:
Back