• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ding Shilu's Unbelieveably Cheap (and Terrifying!) Airplanes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piloot

I was looking around at Home built Airplane and Ultralight News, and I found out about Ding Shuli, a Chinese automobile mechanic that made 2-3 airplanes for incredibly cheap prices. I know another forum post was made on this subject, but I want to explore how he was able to construct his super cheap "$400 Airplane". The Tri-Motor Monoplane will be the focus, but feel free to look at his biplane, and I do recall an older monoplane, post it if you can find it. From the articles and pictures, it looks to be a steel/aluminum tube welded airplane, but with unknown wing ribs. It uses plastic cloth for wing covering.(Which at first glance at the pictures I thought was a burlap sack). I already know of a few design flaws from the previous thread on this subject matter, the wing leading edge is too sharp, and the control surfaces are super thin.

Feel free to post and speculate about this and discuss the incredibly cheap methods he, and many other people around the world, use to make these... Flying machines.

Self-made aircraft*makes test flight
$400 Chinese Homebuilt Tri-Motor - AVweb flash Article
Amateur Ding Shilu spends 4 years building aircraft but crashes it straight away | Daily Mail Online
Ding Shilu takes off on self-made $395 bike airplane | Hidden Harmonies China Blog

1.jpg

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 636
Last edited:
Back