• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flight training in an experimental

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gschuld

First post here, I've been lurking and researching for a bit but I have a question that I am not confident that I fully understand the answer to with regards to my situation. Please forgive me, I have a hard time keeping up with the ins and outs of the changes/regs with the sport pilot rules.
I am interested in building a homebuilt plane that would be registered as an experimental that would qualify under the LSA performance and qualification standards. My interest is in building a side by side plane that would be set up from the start to have a good layout for teaching others how to fly. I work on my own schedule and would enjoy teaching friends (and the wife:grin:) how to fly. If I were to get a CFI ticket and wished to teach others, would I be able to use a homebuilt (proven LSA compliant from the getgo) for this? I have no particular interest in making a profession out of this, in fact as these are my friends, I would not charge anyone anything for this service. So I would not be renting the plane out to anyone, not charging anyone anything for flight instruction, so is there a problem with this?:lick:

If there is, I assume that I would only be able to teach people unofficially in my own plane but to get their sport pilot license we would have to rent a plane that does qualify (which would be ?) for the full minimum 20hrs? Could my plane be used for any of the solo time?

Thanks in advance

George

Back