• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Did you load test your airplane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris In Marshfield

Staff member
Supporting Member
Good morning all,

After reading through hundreds of past posts on static load testing, I'm still on the fence. If you have built and flown a one-off design, did you static load test it (sand bags, etc.)? Just thinking about the wing at the moment.

Many of the contributors here have described load testing, and Orion suggested that one certainly should not fly behind a load test article. In the case of my Expedition project, the wing design is based on an existing one, so I know the structural concept is sound after doing the math on the original and comparing it to the actual destruction results. And so far the math says that the design of my wing is good. But there's always that thing that you just don't know until you try to bust it up (before it returns the favor).

Destructive testing of my wing is an expensive proposition, probably over $1500 in materials alone, just for the privilege of attempting to wreck it. For that reason alone, I'm hesitant. I could see it if I were intent on selling plans, and then I'd need a solid baseline to be sure. But for a one-off, I'm not so sure. But then again, it's the whole "how much is your life worth" thing.

It's cheaper to build a third wing and then use it as a coffee table than it is to purchase a BRS, though...

Appreciate your input,
Chris

Back