• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Boundary Layer Control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GESchwarz

As you may know, I'm using a Mazda rotary engine in my own tandem seat design. Because the rotary engine is so small, the fuselage width at the firewall can be as little as 24", this will allow me to do something very "experimental". I want to apply the principal used with laminar flow wings, on my fuselage...that is that the cross sectional area will gradually increase all the way back to the former just aft of the rear seat (31"), at which point the area will begin the taper back to the tail. The idea is to maintain laminar flow all the way back to that aft bulkhead.

Now to what I'm getting at. I expect that I will get separation as my cross section begins to reduce. What I'd like to do is some boundary layer control at that transition line. This would take the form of a band of laser cut holes through which I would draw the boundary layer in by suction. This is not a new concept. What might be new is my source of vacuum.

The rotary engine exhaust comes out at 1600 degrees. That's a lot of energy going to waste. I'm thinking of using some of that energy by putting it through a venturi to create my suction. I would create a manifold to gather the boundary layer air and bring it forward to wherever the venturi is. This may also help to reduce the noise level of my exhaust by bring the exhaust temperature/velocity down.

Any thoughts on what I may net from this design?

Back