• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

stick welding?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWK

Supporting Member
I was reading an FAA maintenance handbook and was surprised to read, regarding "stick welding" or SMAW:

Some aircraft manufacturers, such as Stinson, used this process for the welding of 4130 steel fuselage structures. This was followed by heat treatment in an oven to stress relieve and normalize the structure.

While I won't have a plane under construction any time soon, these statements bring to mind several questions.

Why was stick welding abandoned for steel tube structures? I've heard of MIG, TIG, and gas being used by modern, commercial operations (mostly the two electric welding forms) but never stick.

Did Stinson actually cook the entire fuselage at 1600 F? Did the rods they use require full normalizing? Perhaps they used stick only for their really big planes with big tubes, like the tri-motors, but then we're talking about a really big oven.

Karl

Back