• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Taiser's Hummel H5 Build... Yes I'm at it again...!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taiser

Well... I finally started working on my H5 build. Started a bit later than I thought because the weather is holding out here and I'm still flying my 750 STOL! I think this will be the last week-end though. Getting to the point where I have to start pre-heating it, and that is just a PITA to do so I'll probably park it tomorrow... but we'll see. Today was nice, but they were forecasting high winds, which didn't happen :mad2: so I wound up starting on the new build instead of flying, so I started on the H5.

Now I plan on making this a completely scratch build and I'm not in a rush (since I can fly the 750 when I get the bug :) ) so I'm hoping to get it done as near perfect and as light as possible. Some highlights I'm looking at doing on this build...

Airframe

I want it light and I want it slick, so...
-Flush rivet as much as I can! It's not a bullet by any means but I like the look better so I'll solid flush rivet where I can, especially the wings.
-Use titanium where I can, if it's worth the effort. I'll figure out how much 4130 is in the plane and figure out the weight but it's something I'd like to try.
-The firewall will probably be kept as SS though. Titanium might just be too hard to work with to make tabs, but I'll check that out as well.

Engine

-I am looking at making this a turboprop, just too cool, even if it's impractical. But initially I'll probably put piston engine unless I can find a JFS-100 13a first for a good price during the build. I'm looking at putting a Honda in if I can find something suitable. Not a great fan of the VW conversions, but I hear it has good cooling in this airframe, so I'll look into that a bit more closely.

Avionics

-Looking at a MGL X-Treme EFIS with the engine monitor features. I've had good luck with the MGL in my STOL and am happy with it. The H5 has a very small panel so this should work out great.

Conventional or Tri-Gear?

-Not sure about this one. Apparently it works great either way but will be a hair faster without a nose wheel. If I go for a "fighter" look I'll probably go for the conventional. Probably better for a bigger prop as well.

So hopefully this will keep me out of trouble and from going stir crazy this winter when the temp really starts to drop. This will probably take years to build, but should be a pretty fun project! :)

Back