• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Designing around the Polini Thor 250 DS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
While the shortcomings of two-stroke engines are well-known, there are some very tempting offerings among modern paramotor engines. The water-cooled, dual-ignition Polini Thor 250 Dual Spark model is especially tempting, providing 36 hp at less than 20 kg/44 lb including electric start. It's not cheap at about USD $4,100 but that is for a complete powerplant.

Starting from a blank sheet, what kind of plane would you design around this engine? I think sticking with European microlight parameters probably makes sense given the power available and engine-out potential. That means a maximum gross weight of 315 kg/694 lb including a ballistic chute and minimum speed of 35 kt/40 mph/65 kph or less. A pusher configuration would be logical but there is also an inexpensive tractor mounting kit from the factory.

Off the top of my head, one idea that appeals to me is a "Baby Eze," a small single-seat pusher canard but with lower wing loading. Since I am not fond of working with composites, it could be a fabric-covered aluminum tube-and-gusset design with a few composite fairing. Still, I could see a quick-and-dirty Fold-a-Plane type working well, perhaps with fabric-covered wings, canard and rudder.

Other ideas?

Last edited:
Back