• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Power concept?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Kidd

OK folks I’ve got a power system question regarding an electric propulsion system for aircraft. As many of you know Sonex and others are pursuing eclectic drive systems for airplanes and trikes, these are powered by batteries. The limited factor of course is the battery charge.

So with this as a given could an electric engine powered by a 2 or 4 stroke engine run through an alternator to a battery and converter be used to power such an electric motor? The concept’s not that farfetched as a similar set up has been used for home built power generation set ups and these in turn are used to power eclectic motors.

I know I’m outside of the box here and this is just an out reach for comments and feedback regarding the feasibility of such an arraignment. I am also fully aware that overall weight of the system is a potential of ruling such a set up out, but given that a battery is already present for a starter or avionics as well as the possibility of eliminating a PSRU is this within the reach of possible? :ponder:

http://www.kk.org/streetuse/archives/2006/10/homebuilt_generator.php

http://theepicenter.com/tow123199.html

JK
:)

Back