• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Side-by Rudder Cable Connections

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to think that I knew how I was going to connect the cables on system that has adjustable rudder pedals and side-by-side seating. Then I ran into some guys doing something else. So, in the interests of not re-inventing the wheel, how do you hook the two sides together? My rudder pedals move slide fore and aft, and have S tubes for the cables to slide in during adjustments, while the cables are anchored to the firewall.

Design options:

Two complete cable sets from firewall to rudder bellcranks. This means a lot of cable, fairleads/pulleys, and perhaps fuss to get them all tensioned and operating together;

One complete cable set with two pulleys to offset them to near the centerline, then a second set with offset tehm to the first set, and then use cable clamps to hook them to the first set;

Third idea is the one that got me thinking. They have a T shaped bellcrank arrangement behind each seat with the rudder cables from that side terminated on the sides, a link between the T-shaped bellcrank on each side, and then one bellcrank has cables to the rudder.

The first is rock simple, and can work, but geez the amount of cable and parts and opportunities for cable slack. Just does not seem like it would feel good... The second gets everything on the centerline tunnel I am planning, and only takes four pulleys, but somehow makes me a little nervos about having all four pedals working together. The last one should feel really solid, be great for dual instruction, but it means heavier and bulkier assemblies, which I would like to avoid.

So, what is actually used in this sort of thing, and how well does it work?

Looking forward to lots of thoughts on this...

Billski

Back