• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Shear web spar in many part or spar cap in section -choosing option

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opcod

Hi

I'm posting in regard of the shear web for spar. I haven't find much info on earlier post so here is a tricky question, i do think.

Some glider used rooving or uni tape. So let say the spar cap is the black box of a ridiculous 90ply uni tape.

In the option 1: the foam core (pink block) is wrapped in fiberglass (blue.)
And web are made in C shape to be bond on top of the glassed foam.

flange opt1.jpg

Option 2 : the web are made into a c-Channel mold (green ) and the 2 are bond with a foam core in between at same time.

So after that, the spar cap is bond on each side.

flange opt2.JPG

Base on those 2 option, which one is the best design ? I'd do think the option 2 is way too heavy and don't give much used...

Option 3, will it be better to just build up 2 full C-channel and bond them together with the spar cap imbedded into it ? And with foam at inside..

flange opt3-1.JPG flange opt3-assy.JPG

Option 4 : with foam at outside in between the 2 C made with spar.

flange opt4.JPG

And on spar cap, is it be better to be in 1 strip instead of 2 as option 3 and 4 ?.. Like some SCH glider as :
glider spar.JPG

Many thanks

Back