• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Super Scooper Frise Aileron

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GESchwarz

Because I am wanting to give my plane STOL performance, I must allocate a large percentage of the wing trailing edge to the flap, leaving only about 20% of the span for ailerons. Therefore my ailerons must be very effective. They did this on the Heilo Courier, but they used spoilers located just inboard of the ailerons, in order to assist the upward-deflected aileron in lowering the wing. At high AoA, the upward-deflecting aileron is nearly ineffective; most of the rolling force is provided by the downward-deflecting aileron on the other wing. However, at high AoA, the downward-deflecting aileron is very close to stalling. Therefore, using ailerons at high AoA often results in entry into a spin.

So, I thought that there must be a better way to get more authority out of the upward-deflecting aileron, so I designed the Super Scooper. See the three attached images. The idea behind it is that the leading edge of the upward-deflecting aileron, drops down into the high energy air under the wing, like a Junkers aileron, and as it does so, a slot begins to open on the top of the airfoil, opening a slot for air to be directed upward over the top of the aileron. This is essentially an inverted slotted flap.

When the aileron deflects downward, it moves much like a conventional aileron.

The only issue I see right now is that because the scooping action may cause the aileron to tug on my control stick, if I get to aggressive with the geometry, or rather, to big a bite out of that air under the wing. I could use springs to neutralize the forces, but I am thinking I may be able to balance the forces aerodynamically through experimentation.

There is one other potential problem, there is a pinch point as the leading edge of the aileron moves from the lowered position to the neutral position...there is potential for it to get jammed if a large bird gets ingested into the slot. A remote possibility that could be handled with rudder for roll control.

This design may well be spin proof, and effective with huge span flaps.

What do you think?

Attachments

• 20150811_090056.jpg
    20150811_090056.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 20150811_090159.jpg
    20150811_090159.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 20150811_090302.jpg
    20150811_090302.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 188
  • TCE CH 19-10-13 (10).jpg