• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Repost: what's my kit plane REALLY gonna cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timstertimster

My original thread morphed into an interesting and lively discussion about certified vs. conversion engines (which I hope admins can place under the appropriate category and re-title)...

So I'll just try again and hope that this go-around we can keep it on the topic of financial modeling.

I know there are some experienced and seasoned folks here who've done it all. I'm an innocent newbie and not looking to get in over my head and end up wasting time and money on a project I no longer have the ability to finish. That's why I'm feeling rather apprehensive about the - albeit very intriguing - idea of scratch building a bearhawk patrol...

The online research I've been able to do so far is mostly dominated my keen marketing efforts of Just aircraft and Zenair and Wild West Aircraft and Kitfoxes etc. I do appreciate what these guys are doing. No harm in making a successful commercial product out of something that in theory can be done for much less at home scrounging parts.

Emphasis on theory. I've never built a plane before. I'm also not planning to make building a lifestyle. In my mind its a means to an end: get airborne and know every my and bolt, mostly, because to me it's also a safety factor: I'd have a hard time buying a half built kit not knowing how well each rivet was placed and whether anything was modified, cut off or what have you...

I believe in the advantages of modern technology. The stuff I've learned about new engine designs makes a lot of sense to me. Why use carburetor a when you can avoid it? (Plea to engine nerds: please don't hijack this thread, too). But of course that comes at a cost.

It's a thought process to me: I may love the $3,000 iEFIS for its IFR-potential, but I suspect I can get away with using Velocity Singles and save.

In the end, I'm interested in flying the plane for a good while. I'd like to take someone along the journey. And is like to be able to one day upgrade to IFR, becaus I really love nighttime flying. It's not about puttering around the neighborhood and watching the sunrise. It's about getting places. And back!!!

If something unexpected happens, I'd like to be able to go in there myself and fix it. At least fix it enough to get back in the air and back to civilization. And of course when out ther off the grid, I'm going to be hauling camping gear. But that's not so much of a concern. Not gonna haul a moose back like "Big Rocks" does. Although its totally bad-ass (watch the video with the antlers strapped to the wing spars.

I'm trying to get to a clear understanding if the time and money investment required. With a degree in industrial design I'm not too worried about the build process or materials. I've done all of the things that various approaches require. I just don't have experience. I know full well how important that is.

And this gets me the most: details. Like people have said in the original thread: after buying any kit or assembly comes the little stuff: senders for the engine. Random wires for some ailerons or upholstery for the seat. Another set of random bolts. Etc.

I'm hoping to get 80% of these details worked out as part of the plan so my "delivery variance" is hopefully inside of 20%. Choosing a commercial kit to me seems safe because I trust that these companies do a decent job of collecting the nuts n bolts required and leaving me with a minimum of surprises.

Or am I just falling for their slick marketing?

Again thanks everyone for the discussion. It's a fun forum, this.

Back