• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Limit and Ultimate loads - How do you apply the Factor of Safety?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubman

Hi,
My design is to be a small single seat biplane of 510lbs gross weight and 108 sq feet wing area, with +4g and -2g as the Limit load factors, with speeds

Vs 38mph,
Va 76mph.
Vc 85mph,
Vd 120mph I realise these speeds are quite high for this gross weight, but I am just following Mr Stout's dictum, and I might get a bigger engine....

So is my understanding correct that loads used for the design of the structure would be my calculated limit loads based on the speeds and wing loading simply multiplied by 1.5, i.e whichever are the highest pull,push,bend,twist, or slice loads at points A,C,D,E,F and G on the Vn diagram?

Now for the silly questions:

So even though at Va/Vg and +4/-2g, where by design it won't be possible to exceed 4/-2g, I still use 1.5 times the Va/Vg loads for the structural design as normal? ditto for all the others; which brings up my next point.

I have a Vc gust load factor at gross weight of +4.4g and at an admittedly conservative minimum weight of 410lbs the situation worsens to +4.8g, and for negative gusts -3.45g. I knew that lighter airframes would be more sensitive to gusts:shock:
So, and here I think I know the answer, Do I still have to multiply the VF loads at 4.8g by 1.5 ( and have a nominally +7.2 ultimate bipe!)? 120 mph loads pale in comparison...

Thanks
Cub

Back